I've been meaning to do a blog about our recent trip to Canada. Some people think we are a little "Canada Crazy" since this is our 2nd trip there in a year, but it has blown our minds both times. They have so many incredible places just calling us up there. We were about to book our tickets for a 3 day getaway to Chicago when we realized that the tickets were only $100 more to Calgary. It was as simple of a decision as that. Well, actually first we had to persuade my mom to watch Nora for 5 days instead of 3. Nonna came through (Thanks MOM!!!) and Babymoon #2 was booked.
We stayed our first and last nights in Calgary and the days and nights in between in the Banff National Park at the Chateau Lake Louise. The hotel was out of this world, nestled between two mountains and right on Lake Louise. Our trip was the last weekend of May and we experienced the beginnings of what the locals called the "June Monsoon." (Probably why the tickets were so affordable.) We didn't care, we got to see snow and relax together, alone. We have found it invaluable to escape from reality together and just be.
So here is one story about our trip. Chris had big plans for us on this trip. Fly fishing, snow mobiling, and lots of hikes. Well, either the weather or my doctor ruled out the first two plans entirely and, at 16 weeks pregnant, I wasn't sure how much hiking I could or should be doing at that altitude...in the snow. Chris said he wanted to take a short 1.5 km hike up to a place call the Tea Room. The lady at the excursion desk in the hotel advised against it because:
1) The Tea Room was closed until late June
2.) The trail would be covered in snow
3.) Did she need to give a 3rd reason?
This is the view of the lake after the first 30 minutes of that hike she had advised against. I know Canadians use km as their default measurement for distance, but they MUST have measured as the crow flies because this turned out to be a 4 hour hike, to a place that was closed. (They use donkeys to get supplies up to it. That's how remote it is.) Upon taking this picture we had only seen one other hiker on the trail. If we were to keep going, I would need to scale a rock wall covered in snow. I assessed the danger and asked Chris if he really wanted to risk our baby's life. He wasn't concerned at all. "I'm sure it's just right around the corner up there. I'll help you up." Another couple in their 40's came walking up as were discussing it. They didn't seem to think it was a very good idea either, but somehow my husband talked everyone into it.
About 45 minutes later and roughly 5 or 6 more "I'm sure it's just around the corner."s we ended up at Mirror Lake. This is where the hike really started to get tough. The path was incredibly narrow. You could only walk one foot in front of the other or you would be to your thigh in snow. The 40 somethings had blown past us long ago and still hadn't come back down. Single file, hand in hand, slipping every few yards, we continued up, to this place that was closed. "You are doing so great, Meg", he would encourage me.
Well you better believe we made it. The other couple was still at the top and took our picture to document the accomplishment. If you think going up was tough, the trek back down was even harder. More snow, more slipping, but no real busts. The baby and I made it down and Chris was "so proud of me". I was happy we weren't mauled by a bear and that my toes regained their feeling later that day. Did I mention I was just wearing tennis shoes? We did, however, pass a Japanese couple on the way down wearing Keds and each carrying an umbrella. I actually don't know even know if they were real or just a hallucination.
I am thankful for my adventurous husband who challenges me to do and experience things I might otherwise not. I am also thankful that I have come out of each adventure unscathed, otherwise I might be a little less thankful and a little more ticked.
The next day my legs were shot. Thankfully, we had a long drive out to the ice fields to go out on a glacier. The drive was breathtaking.
And... of course we stopped for another hike, but this one was much shorter and such a must see.
The water carved out a crooked path in the mountain and continues to wind through the layers of rock.
Pretty cool. (Here's me wearing my back-up tennis shoes.)
We rode this bus literally out onto the glacier.
It was blindingly bright and visibility was low but Chris still managed to see well enough to make a snowman.
I took off my back-up tennis shoes on the bus because they were soaked through with glacier water.
Next time I will be more prepared for the June Monsoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment