Myth #1, Inhaling or ingesting mercury from a broken thermometer is dangerous. FALSE.
Here you can see Ruckus casually observing our pelican pool thermometer. He wants it, but will wait until the time is right so that he can retrieve it without getting in trouble. Which he does, but then after lying in wait and claiming his prize, what do you know, May takes it from him and carries it off to enjoy by herself. Bitch. Minutes later, I find her laying with the pelican thermometer, chewing the plastic casing and pieces of broken glass. Tiny silver balls are rolling in the dirt beneath her paws. After placing both dogs in quarantine, I await the callback from our vet. The internet tells me that this is very, very bad and lists the proper steps to safely dispose of this hazardous material. They warn that if you do not take the appropriate action, the mercury could get into the groundwater causing all sorts of horrific events. So as instructed by the internet, my guide to life, I gather the materials needed for cleanup and disposal. Rubber gloves, mason jar with lid, 2 plastic bags, 2 pieces of cardboard. (No duct tape to be found, so this step is automatically ruled unnecessary.) Gloves on, I use the cardboard to gently scoop up the scattered remains of the mercury, dropping them into the jar along with the glass and what's left of the pelican. I seal the jar, but do not wrap the lid in duct tape, because we don't want to over-react here, and then double bag it in Publix shopping bags. The vet calls back and I learn that there is nothing that can be done for sweet May. That's all she said, oh and "Let me know what happens." Great. When Chris gets home we continue to monitor her for the rest of the night. She was panting a lot, but that was it. The next day she seemed fine. So we deducted that mercury must not be harmful if our 25 lb pup could eat it, breath it, and live to see another day. So instead of following through with the last step of disposing hazardous waste, Chris threw the jar in the trash, and that was that.
I let the dogs out to urinate. As usual, they are in the start position at the back door, ready to race after whatever squirrels are taunting them on the fenceline. The door opens and they are off, running the perimeter of the yard. They do their business and I call them back for a treat. They run in and sit in the kitchen like the obedient dogs they aren't, and wait for me to follow through with my promise. I give them treats and realize that May's paw is soaked with blood. She down't seem to care because treats are being passed out. At first I thought she stepped on some glass but then noticed that her nail was just hanging by a thread. I watch CSI, so I quickly start to scan the scene for clues. I find blood splatter on the outside of the door, which tells me that she hit her nail on the threshold on her way out. I call the vet again. They are happy to hear that May survived the mercury incident and then tell me I need to bring her in. Of course I do, they haven't met their monthly goal and so they need me to bring her in. I ask what I can do from home. They tell me I can use flour to stop the bleeding but the nail needs to be removed. Also, if it is deep enough, the nerves could be exposed. Oh, and it's a terrible place to get an infection. So after listening to a long line of scare tactics, in she goes. They have to sedate her in order to remove the nail $$$, clip the nail $$, wrap the paw $$, bring her out of sedation $$, and charge for an office visit $$$. Then they tell me she needs pain pills $$$$ and antibiotics to prevent any infection $$$$. Home we go, with orders that she can't jump or go outside. Awesome! So with the patient home, we signed her cast. It wasn't the sweetest message, but we thought she ought to know what she cost us that day. Then we gave her some doggie ice cream and called it a night. She spent a week in that bandage, in doors, driving us nuts.
Myth #3 Hi-Fives and staring contests are lame.
Myth BUSTED!
No comments:
Post a Comment