Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Nursery

Baby Weave's nursery is ready and waiting for his or her arrival. Only 4 weeks to go...give or take. We decided to make the nursery bright and colorful for our little one. Throughout the pregnancy we have slowly added a piece here and a piece there, creating a room that we both love. A lot of love went into this room. One project at a time, it has finally come together. Enjoy!
The tree is a decal that came in pieces. There were 3 separate pieces for the trunk and branches. Then each individual leaf had to be cut out and applied one by one. Unfortunately, these aren't just stickers. They have to be applied by rubbing with a credit card type tool, sort of how you would apply a temporary tattoo. This was, by far, the most time consuming project. Good luck to whoever moves in here after us. That thing's not coming off without applying a new layer of drywall.

All of these cute little stuffed animals were gifts from friends and family. (Except for the little owl on the far right. My mom and I made him one lazy afternoon.)

The red and white picture frame used to hang in my nursery when I was a baby. I took out the contents and made the "I am a child of God" text using Photoshop and had it printed at Kinkos for $1.75. The magnetic clock board is from IKEA and I bought some red numbers and letters to liven it up. Right now the Baby Shower invitations and sonogram pics are displayed. The baby's initials will be on the bottom magnets, but so far all we have is the "W". That ratty blue doll on the bottom shelf is something Chris used to tote around as a kid. I'm still working on a plan to fully disinfect that!

We picked up this glider from Encore Decor when we won a room makeover contest a couple years ago. We've been storing it at my mom's for a while. Chris spray painted it a brighter white and we had the cushions recovered with an indoor/outdoor stain resistant fabric. The lady who did my wedding dress alterations actually sewed the covers. (She's been repairing things that the dogs have destroyed for years...patio cushions, down jacket, etc. Best prices and workmanship in town!) We found the night stand on Craigslist for $11 and the lamp was another freebie from Encore Decor. I bought the wreaths at Hobby Lobby for $1 each and am planning to use them as picture frames, once we have a baby to photograph that is.

My mom and I made the book slings using a tutorial I found online. It's just some fabric and dowel rods. I love these because since our child probably won't be able to read the titles of the books until at least age 2, they will easily be able to pick out the book they want by looking at the cover.

The changing area is the only part of the room that isn't finished. We are saving this wall for either the baby's name or to add something more masculine or feminine to the room after the baby is born. This dresser also came from a Craigslister.

The little fabric diaper basket was something I found on Etsy, one of the best websites out there!

I hand painted all the knobs on the dresser with leaves, birds, owls, etc. That was a little bit harder than I anticipated, but you can find a tutorial for anything online. After several coats of varnish, I think they turned out pretty well.

The bird mobile was my next project. I bought a lot of bright neutral fabric squares and then hand sewed and stuffed the birds. Then we grabbed some sticks from Chris' parents house and sanded them down. I hot glued the birds on the sticks and then Chris trimmed the edges and fastened the wires to make it level.

Behind the door, we have our lovable Dog Butt Hooks courtesy of IKEA. And last, but not least, is the Angel painting. This was a very special gift from our dear friend Cami, a Nashville based artist and jack-of-all trades. She gave up gluten and picked up painting. Way to go Cam, we love it!

So as you can see, I like projects just as much as my husband. Now that the nursery is done, it's everything I can do not to start something else. I'm just waiting for the biggest project of them all to start. I hope there are some good tutorials online for child rearing.

5 comments:

Mommy said...

Love the nursery! You did a great job. Can't wait to see what you are having.

Haylee Browne said...

WOW! It looks AWESOME:) Absolutely love the nursery. So creative and fun!

Sarah said...

Your nursery looks as good in photographs as it does in person.

Can't wait to meet the latest edition to the Weaver Family!

Anonymous said...

Meghan... it is so amazing. I can't believe all the work you've put into it, but mostly, all the thought---you guys are adorable. I kept trying to get sticks to make my own mobile but Rob broke down and got me one... I like yours a lot better! Everything is perfect. Well done! (p.s. love C-list.)

The Dimmick Family said...

You guys did an awesome job! I can't wait to meet the little one!!