Seriously, we were only a few rows up from when you come out of the breezeway, but he kept running out of water before he could get to us. People were screaming and yelling at him, calling him lazy and slow....it was hilarious and a sign of desperation in 105+ degree temperatures. I don't think I've ever seen someone work so hard, but he had no choice. As I made it down from my seat and into the corridors I was amazed at what I saw. People were literally passed out all over the place, sitting in piles of sweat and other stuff?, fanning themselves with sweaty rags, as cops were holding bags of ice on their necks. The definition of heat, a sharp pungent flavor was certainly in the air. Yeah Gainesville is known as The Swamp, but in all my years of going to the Gator games I have never seen anything like this. Pops and I made it through the game unscathed, the Gators won, and although I was soaked it was a wonderful September atmosphere. Hottest place on earth!
The Jaguars game wasn't any better at the start. Record setting temperatures for an opening game, 110 with the heat index. However, the game was awesome. We went from soaking wet with sweat, to a 30 minute lightning delay, to enjoying the 3rd and 4th quarter in the pouring rain. It was wonderful. Pops hung tough and even managed to finish reading his Sunday newspaper as it down poured on his Goretex hat. The only part of him that was dry was his silver locks.
Jacksonville is a great place to live and I wouldn't trade the weather for anything. The fans are always resilient and when Skynyrd is playing at the end of the third quarter you would think it was raining gold bars. There is nothing better than Skynyrd....I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment